Saturday, September 06, 2008

I'm in love again

I made my debut at the Institute's football field on Thursday evening. That was after almost a year and an increase of around 10 kgs.

My pair my Lotto boots were still wrapped in newspapers, in a plastic bad, just the way it was when I first arrived in January. I decided it was high time I returned to the sphere where I find joy and the occasional cussin' and pain... the football field.

Not surprisingly, the guys were surprised (probably an understatement) when they saw me coming to the field. I also caused similar shocks to those who arrived after me. Take William for example. He stopped in his tracks, a good 200 meters away from the field, extended his head to the front as if he could zoom in to see if it was really me.

So I did some warmups, a little kickaround with some of the guys, and when the match was going to start, I felt I had enough already. It's like I already played a full 45 minutes of a half. After a long absence, a good first touch is vital. It is as important as your first date with the girl that you (currently) like.

Game on. Somehow the ball was going my way, where I was the last man. The opposing striker was nearby. I took a touch. The guy was probably thinking, "Big fat slow 27 year old who is playing for the first time, should be easy." So he ran towards me. I thought of making a pass to Harrison on the right wing but the boy was quicker and he closed me down. I ran a little to the right. Boy looked to be going for the ball. Moved my left foot to the ball, but stopped short of touching it. With my right foot I moved the ball further right and made a pass as the boy was rooted earlier by my initial move. Not a bad start afterall. Looking forward to play again.

No comments:

Post a Comment