Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Interviewed

Today or technically I should say yesterday, was the Guru Pemulihan interview. And I also found that its called Remedial Teacher in English...i think, OK, but at least that sounded better than Rehabilitation Teacher.
Anyhows, I was supposed to have my turn concluded by 1pm, but our batch of applicants took longer than expected to be completed so the last 3, including myself had to join the 2pm batch. I considered myself fortunate as my 3 buddies, Deli n Nijan had their interviews the day before, and Pian was with the first batch last week. So they relayed stuff to me on what they were questioned etc. Basically I was all set. Current issues and Falsafah Pendidikan Negara and all those stuff you can find from the Ministry's website. To be honest, I just read through them once, and kinda memorized the Falasafah part.
When we were waiting our turns, the others were busy discussing the potential questions, with notes n papers in their hands. I thought that was overkill, its just like preparing for an exam. I actually thought they were wasting their time and its not much use. All the while I just sat there, text messaging my friend Dunstan, going through my mobile Spanish dictionary. I didn't know anyone in my batch, so no chit-chatting for me. Though the girl sitting infront of me was a babe. In my previous post I was worried about how my BM would fare. And as i sat there, the same thing hung around. I practiced the interview in my head. And i began to think if I was under-prepared. But all the while I was cool.
Fast forward, the candidate before my turn entered the interview room, and I started feeling tense. Ah, typical me. My breathing was now different. And I had to hold myself, taking slow and deep breaths. When it was my turn, I stood outside the door waiting for the sound of the bell, indicating that I could enter. Somehow it took quite a while. And imagination crept in. I began to picture myself as Gary Neville, captain of Manchester United. The way his face n eyes are very focused, his body stance. And i did just that!!! HAHA. *Ting!!* Game on...
I entered and greeted the 3 interviewers, the lady asked for my file, and as I gave it to her, the guy in the middle (let's call him The Don) barked, "Kamu graduan oversea, kenapa nak mohon jawatan ni??!!"
Damn that was quick, didn't see it coming!
"Sebenarnya saya bukan graduan dari luar negara, cuma saya mengikuti program twinning di Inti College Sarawak."
The Don nodded, "Oh macam partnership lah, jadi kamu tidak belajar di luar negara."
"Ya betul." Good heavens!! So technically I did not answer the question, and I would have no idea how...haha.
"Sanggup pegi pedalaman?? kalau pegi Bakelalan mau??"
Damnit, the pace and the atmosphere of the interview just kept heating up.
"Bakelalan? Boleh juga. Sana pun memang kampung mak saya." Back at ya!! I bet he didn't expect that answer, considering I have a Chinese surname and have the looks.
"Ok. Kalau posting sana sampai 10-15 tahun?? Masih sanggup kaa, guru pemulihan ni susah sikit kalau mau transfer." Crap!! 15 years!! Ok I admit he psyched me a lil there. I mean, I would love it there, but 15 years is a long time man. And what he said ain't horsecrap.
Still with my pokerface on, I smiled, "Saya rasa saya boleh cuba."
Next we moved on the questions on to stuff like the difference between an ordinary teacher and a remedial teacher. Then he asked about the vital characteristics needed in a remedial teacher. So I answered all those calmly, and in midspeech I realised I was speaking an above average Bahasa Malaysia...Haha.
Then he asked what I undertand and know about the word Integrity. And what I think about it in the context of the Msian Govt...in English (finally). I've read quotes on integrity and also articles on people known to have that quality. That was sometime back when I wanted to know what intregity really meant. Paid off afterall.
Finally.
"Benjamin, kamu punya prestasi dlm temuduga ini sangat baik." Turns to his henchman and henchlady for agreement, and continued, "I think this is among the best we had so far."
Pokerface mode still switched on, but with a wider smile, and a thank you.
"But you don't have your CGPA in your transcript, and you don't have the letter from JPA to certify your qualification. Ini sangat-sangat penting. Banyak markah yang kamu tak dapat score ni. Sangat sayang lah."
Pokerface mode, smile still visible. They told me to process those documents/requirements ASAP by the 19th. That gave me the impression that I hit the jackpot, but I need the lottery ticket to claim the prize, which I do not. And it is quite difficult if not impossible to sort those things out by the 19th.
Back home, I thought about all those, and I guess I don't really want to be a Remedial Teacher anyway. Considering the the job description, future prospects and all. Sometime later that evening my friend Graman in Sibu texted me telling me that the advertisement on KPLI is out. So I guess I'll have my eyes on this one. Most importantly, it's something that I prefer and want. All in all, the interview was a invaluable experience, having never attended one that was conducted in BM.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:25 PM

    hahahha..aku pun ada benda craps integrity jua..wah..besh lar awak nie yek..hahaha..hopefully dpt..stay bakelalan 15 yrs

    ReplyDelete